Image by/Llun gan Elfen


Personal, Medical and Travel Insurance

Personal, medical and travel insurance are important aspects that visiting artists should consider and arrange before arriving in the UK, including Wales. If the artist or group is transporting props/sets/costumes etc., these items should also be insured. The producer should also ensure that all artists are covered by the insurance of the venue in which they will be performing (e.g. liability insurance in a theatre). Some forms of insurance are compulsory for employers.

For UK venues

Employer’s Liability - A legal requirement for all UK employers to protect against liability for injury, disease or death of their employees in the workplace.

Public Liability - Protects employers against liability for public death, injury or damage to property within the public workspace (i.e. in a theatre/concert venue).

Health & Safety at Work - See Health & Safety Regulation: A Short Guide at

Buildings and Contents - Assess the total value of props/set/instruments that will be used in advance, and ensure works are covered by your organisation’s policy. Check whether the artist is arranging personal insurance cover for their props/set/instruments.

Theft and Damage - Check if this is included in your contents insurance.

Goods in Transit - To insure the movement of props, sets, costumes, equipment, instruments and other goods between venues. This is organised by or between the promoter/host venue and the performer(s), depending on who is responsible for transporting the goods to the UK. If the artist transports goods personally, they should ensure that the goods are covered against damage. Shipping companies generally have company insurance to cover goods handled by them - check this with them.

For artists

Medical Insurance - EU enlagement and overseas visitors (not ordinarily resident in the UK) must pay for NHS hospital treatment except:

People who come to the UK for employment;
EEA nationals;
Nationals of countries with which the UK has reciprocal agreements

See details on the Overseas Visitors section of the Department of Health’s (DoH) website. The DoH also publishes a leaflet outlining all exemptions from NHS charges. The Association of British Insurers (ABI) provides advice on personal medical and
health insurance at the Information Zone on its website .

Travel insurance - visit for more information visit
The Assiciation of British Insurers (ABI)
European Travel Insurance Group
Insurance Information Institute

Public Liability
It is important to consider this, especially if participating in workshops, residencies, performances and other events that involve working with the public in a venue or gallery. (This may already be provided by the venue).

Goods in Transit - As before

See The British Insurance Brokers’ Association to search for UK brokers who deal with cover for works of art. The Insurance Information Institute also has a search function to locate overseas insurers.

Useful Organisations

The Association of British Insurers
Tel: 020 7600 3333
The website has extensive information on all forms of insurance. It also contains information sheets on all types of insurance for consumers and small businesses.

The Insurance Information Institute
This website includes a directory of international insurance associations.

Health & Safety Executive
Tel: H & S Infoline: 0845 345 0055
Details of compulsory regulations for employers and useful information sheets

Department of Health Customer Service Centre
Tel: 020 7210 4850
Lines are open from 09:00 to 17:00, Monday to Friday

Arts Council England Information Sheets
Tel: 0845 300 6200

This website provides a useful source of general information, including a range of advice on insurance for arts organisations and artists produced by the regional offices of Arts Council England.

Practics/EU/Education and Culture

Wales - China 2017

Thomas Martin - Stratum 50 - Open Books

India Wales

Hay Festival Kerala

Patagonia 150

Patagonia - Marc Rees